Saturday, August 19, 2006

Trail System Privatization

In England 1% of the population owns 66% of the land. The result of this social imbalance is that the No Trespass sign is seen more often than not when you are trying to enjoy the pleasures of the countryside.

Coming from this restrictive environment to live in Colorado in 1996 I thought I had landed in paradise. On my doorstep were mountains where I could ski, hike and mountain bike. Rivers where I could enjoy my passion for fly fishing and take my kids for picnics. It is an outdoor enthusiasts dream.

To add to this dream my family moved to the southern Denver suburbs in 1999. 15 miles from the Tech Centre but surrounded by open space. Up to this point we have been able to enjoy the many outdoor amenities that this area provides. I say up to this point because this week I saw something that I would never seen in this Great State. Private Trail Systems.

The Highland's Ranch Community Association (HRCA) has created one of the most beautiful trail systems on the Front Range and decided to make it private. Anyone using this trail system, so the signs say, must be in possession of their HRCA ID card. Otherwise it is considered trespass.

Wildcat Mountain Trail System is not the only private trail system the HRCA have created. If you read the trail map also indicates another that sits north of the East/West trail.



There are many reasons why I think this is wrong:

  • This sets a very dangerous precedent. Are we to start saying that only members of each City can use its facilities? Parks, bike trails, ball parks, soccer fields, skateboard parks, play grounds, etc are all off limits unless you live there?
  • The Wildcat Mountain Trail System is situated in close proximity to many other trail systems. The area is even marked out with flags that show where the trail will eventually join Douglas County trails (according to a park ranger I talked to). What are we supposed to do here? Walk along a trail that we are allowed to be on and then turn around when we get to somewhere where we are not allowed to be?
  • Colorado Trespass Laws state that trespass requires a court appearance, a possible fine of $50 $750 and jail time. You have got to be kidding me? Are you telling me that the HRCA would fine me and possibly get me sent to jail for enjoying a walk on a Colorado trail system, just because I do not live in Highland's Ranch?

When I saw the signs I decided to contact the HRCA. This is their response:

Thank you for your comments regarding the Backcountry Wilderness Area of Highlands Ranch. The HRCA is a private non-profit corporation and its common area property is for the benefit of its members, just like the recreation centers. These common area properties are paid for 100% by member assessments and not taxes. Really no different from the private pools in Castle Pines, private clubhouses in other communities, private trails in Ken Caryl, and private lakes in many communities around Colorado.

Parks, trails, and public areas should be open to the public who fund those trails. For example, there is a tax in Douglas County which funds open space properties in Douglas County. Those properties are open to the public. Trails within Highlands Ranch, operated by the Metro Districts, a governmental entity, are open to the public. In this case however, the trails are open to the HRCA members who fund the trails. However, the cost component is not the only concern. We also want to make sure that the trails aren't used more heavily than they and the land can support while we manage the trails and the land to make sure the habitat remains healthy to sustain the wildlife in the area.


I am just one voice, but I am abhorred by this elitist strategy. I wrote this BLOG to see if anyone else is as shocked by this policy as I am.

If you are here are some suggestions:

This is Colorado. There is enough land for everyone. But trail systems and other public amenities that sit in heavily populated areas should be for all, not for some. If we are not careful our children will end up bringing up their families in a Front Range where anything outside their communities will be off limits and no trespass signs will be as common as they are in England.